When your child receives a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes (T1D), it can be an overwhelming time. As you navigate this challenging period of adjustment to life with T1D, you can find helpful information and support through the JDRF Bag of Hope. The JDRF Bag of Hope is filled with useful resources for both the child who has been diagnosed with T1D and his or her adult caregivers. Along with educational materials, we’ve included a special friend — Rufus, the Bear with Diabetes® — to show your child he or she is not alone while learning to take shots and test blood sugar. Additional resources in your JDRF Bag of Hope include (but are not limited to):
- Rufus Comes Home, A First Book for Understanding Diabetes, reference books
- A JDRF DVD
- An ACCU-CHEK® Nano SmartView blood glucose meter
- Informational postcard about the support Lilly Diabetes offers families with a bookmark
- Lilly Diabetes literature on severe hypoglycemia management
- A Novo Nordisk key chain Webkey with details on the NovoPen Echo® reusable insulin pen
- A Novo Nordisk postcard with information on T1D support from novologreach.com
- A Road ID bracelet for Rufus, as well as a discount coupon for a Road ID bracelet for your child
- Dexcom® continuous glucose monitor educational brochure and water bottle
Carol P. Cramer is the owner of the trademark RUFUS, THE BEAR WITH DIABETES® (U.S. Registration No. 4228715), which is used by permission.
Request a Bag of Hope
The Bag of Hope may be obtained through your local JDRF chapter. Find the location nearest you.